Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another of my Indian cooking class tutor's recipes. I have a grinder so grind the seeds to make powder as stated, otherwise using store-brought powder is fine. With the chicken, you can easily substitute boneless.
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 kg skinless chicken, bone in (drums or thighs)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons curry powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water, if needed
- coriander leaves, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan and saute garlic, onion, ginger and cumin seeds for about 2 or 3 minutes, taking care that nothing burns.
- Add chicken, mix well and fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric and chili powder (if using) and saute for about 3 minutes. Cover and leave for 5 minutes.
- Add in the curry powder and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add water if needed. This depends on how much gravy you want. Cover and let the chicken cook, stirring occasionally.
- When done, stir in chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice or naan.
We enjoyed the masala chicken recipe. It had nice flavor and came out and tender and juciy. I used bone-in chicken breasts and trimmed away the skin. The bone in really does add to the flavor. We served over basmati rice and with Cauliflower Curry as a side dish. Thanks!
YES! With all those wonderful spices which have become favourites at our house - just knew it was going to be extra good! Not having the coriander leaves on hand I used some flat leaf parsley. Amazed how easily this made up. Used chicken thighs - think I would love this cutting a whole chicken - the bone in makes for flavor - and I could sneak off to the kitchen with the best parts! Delicious served over rice. A belated July review for AUZ/NZ swap.
We made this for dinner and the only thing I would change is to use boneless chicken next time. VERY authentic tasting and I made is with 4 chili peppers...YUMMY!! Thank you.