Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simpler chai tea recipe, from Etsy's Kitty Greenwald. She says: To use spices for infusions, cracking them releases their oils, but toasting isn’t necessary. Traditionally, masala chai has less milk. Feel free to add more milk or extra sweetener.
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, chopped (no need to peel)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons black tea
- With mortar and pestle, crush the cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon.
- Place crushed spices in a small saucepan with the water, ginger and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and sugar to the pan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the tea. Let the tea steep, covered, for 3 minutes.
- To serve, strain chai into a warmed teapot or cups.
Very easy chai recipe. Loved the black pepper in this. Will be making this again. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.