Recipe by Bonnie bonbon
this is a classic indian masala chai. i would venture to say half a billion people are drinking some version of this every morning. and for good reason -- it is super delicious!
Top Review by cyaos
This was a lovely chai that I will make again. I doubled the recipe but kept the milk the same for personal preference as we are not fans. I also only added 1/3 cup of sugar to the doubled recipe and still found it a touch too sweet - next time I think I will double the recipe and leave both the sugar and milk at the original levels. Thanks for posting! EDIT: I am updating this to 5 stars as this is the best chai recipe on 'zaar and I have tried a lot of them. The only thing I would change is adding peppercorns and ginger next time.
- 2 cups water
- 3 -5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, crushed
- 2 -3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup sucanat
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons black tea leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- put the water on the stove and add spices, bring to boil.
- cover and let simmer for few minutes.
- add sugar or sucanat (whole ground sugar cane--like jaggery) and milk, stir.
- bring back to just barely boiling (watch pot, milk will bubble over).
- add tea leaves, cover pot, remove from heat.
- steep for 5 minutes.
- pour through filter to remove spices and tea leaves.