1/1 Photo of Masala Beans Poriyal
This is a recipe that is better for people who are already familiar with Indian cooking and already have a stockpile of spices. But if you want to try it anyways and see just how yummy Indian food can be - then I'm not going to stop you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 tablespoons bengal gram dal (yellow split peas, chana dal)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 dried red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 4 tablespoons grated fresh coconut or 5 1/2 tablespoons dried flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 1Masala: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy pan or skillet. Add the Bengal gram dal, black gram dal, coriander seeds, red chillies, and asafoetida powder. Saute for 3-3 minutes. Place mixture in an electric blender or food processor. Add the grated coconut and tamarind pulp. Blend ingredients to a thick paste, adding just enough water to make the paste smooth. Add salt to taste. Set the paste aside.
- 2To a heavy frying pan or skillet, add the finely chopped beans, salt to taste, and a little water (just enough to prevent the beans from scorching). Cook over a low heat until the beans are tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 3Tempering: In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the mustard seeds, Bengal gram dal, black gram dal, red chilli, garlic, cumin seeds, and a few curry leaves.
- 4When the mustard seeds splutter, add the ground masala paste. Cook over a low heat for 5-7 minutes, until the mixture is dry and crisp.
- 5Now add the cooked beans to the masala. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the masala blends well with the beans.
- 6Serve with hot rice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Masala Beans Poriyal
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.2
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bengal gram dal