Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From Bon Appetit, November 2010. Recipe by Rochelle Palermo.
Make and share this Masa Cornbread Stuffing With Chilies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped white onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large anaheim chilies, seeded, chopped (scant 4 cups)
- 18 ounces fresh poblano chilies, seeded, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4 large fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons new mexico chilies, ground
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 masa cornbread, 13x9-inch loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes (preferably day-old)
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add all chilies; sauté until beginning to soften, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in ground chiles and next 4 ingredients. Transfer vegetable mixture to bowl. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Butter 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Stir cilantro into vegetable mixture. Place cornbread cubes in very large bowl; add vegetable mixture and toss gently. Toss in cheese, if using. Whisk eggs and broth in medium bowl, then pour over stuffing and toss gently to moisten. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover dish with buttered foil, buttered side down.
- Bake stuffing until heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes longer.