Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Ma (grandma) has been making these banana fritters for me all my life and she's never given the recipe out to any one but me! Others in the family have tried, but they just don't come out the same. Even though these are probably really fattening, I love to eat them in moderation throughout the year because they're so addictive! Plus, it's a great way to get dh and the kids to eat a fruit!
- 3 bananas (ripe, starting to turn brown)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 -4 tablespoons brown sugar (or white)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- oil (for frying)
- Peel bananas and place into a large bowl. Smash them with a fork until they start to get somewhat runny. Add sugar, vanilla, milk, salt, and flour and mix until the "batter" just barely runs off of the spoon (just a little thinner than the consistency of pancake batter). If it is too thick, it will be too airy, like pancakes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is HOT, drop tablespoons of the batter in at a time, as if you were making mini pancakes.
- When the edges are firm, turn over and cook the opposite side. The fritters should be a medium-brown color, not light and not burnt. Drain onto paper towels and serve warm. Mmm -- .
These were nice. My mother liked them but my kids thought they were just okay. I think these need more flavor like cinnamon and nutmeg. Very easy to make and a quick snack.
Good recipe, better with 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp nutmeg.
This is perfect! I had forgotten how to make banana fritters and this is the perfect recipe. Although in my banana fritters I always add cinnamon and nutmeg.