Recipe by tgobbi
This is my all time favorite bean dip. It's a lot of work - but worth the time and effort. (The prep time doesn't include time needed to soak the beans)
- 1 cup dried white bean (great northern or cannellini)
- 1⁄4 lb slab bacon or 4 slices thick bacon, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile in adobo
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beans; discard bad ones.
- Cook bacon in large pot on med low until cooked but not crisp.
- Add garlic; cook 1 min.
- Add beans, thyme& enough water to cover by at least 3".
- Boil, partly cover& simmer to tender (removing any foam)- about 1 hr, 20 min.
- Drain beans.
- Remove thyme stalks (the leaves fall off during cooking).
- Transfer to blender; add cumin, chili powder, chipotles& salt; turn to mix.
- Slowly add olive oil.
- Blend for desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning w/salt& pepper.
- Serve w/crusty bread or tortilla chips.