Recipe by KaraRN
This recipe is a very old family recipe that came from my great grandmother who passed in 1988 at the age of 87. This a very heavy, moist cake. Hope you enjoy it as much as our family has for many years.
- 118.29 ml boiling water
- 236.59 ml quick oats
- 118.29 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 314.66 ml flour
- 2 eggs
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml shredded coconut
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 88.74 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml cream (can use milk)
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml nuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine quick oats, margarine, and boiling water. Cover and allow margarine to melt, and mixture to cool a bit.
- Mix remaining cake ingredients and mix well.
- Spread into 9x13 greased and lightly floured cake pan.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 35 minutes or until done.
- For icing: Mix icing ingredients until well blended. Spread over cooled cake and put under broiler until coconut browns (watch this closely, the coconut will brown fast).