Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is a very old family recipe that came from my great grandmother who passed in 1988 at the age of 87. This a very heavy, moist cake. Hope you enjoy it as much as our family has for many years.
- 118.29 ml boiling water
- 236.59 ml quick oats
- 118.29 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 314.66 ml flour
- 2 eggs
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml shredded coconut
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 88.74 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml cream (can use milk)
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml nuts, chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl combine quick oats, margarine, and boiling water. Cover and allow margarine to melt, and mixture to cool a bit.
- Mix remaining cake ingredients and mix well.
- Spread into 9x13 greased and lightly floured cake pan.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 35 minutes or until done.
- For icing: Mix icing ingredients until well blended. Spread over cooled cake and put under broiler until coconut browns (watch this closely, the coconut will brown fast).
Terrific cake, my friends loved it! thanks so much for posting it