This is my Mom's recipe. Very easy, very good. I had a successful mail-order business years ago packaging the spices, pasta, cheese and recipe. The veggie measurements are "guesstimates" as I don't usually measure! I also vary the veggies according to what I have on hand - the only thing I've ever used that didn't work was beets.This also freezes well.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 16 ounces corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 56 ounces water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 cup acini di pepe pasta
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Boil pasta according to package directions, drain.
- Brown ground beef and onion.
- Add potato, carrot, corn, celery, cabbage, tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, basil and thyme.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 1 hour or more.
- Add pasta.
- Serve with fresh grated cheese.
- Better the next day, so make ahead if you can.
This soup is so good and filling. This is what I'm having for lunch, so I didn't try it with parmesan cheese. I omitted the potato. I added more cabbage. Thanks davianng :) Made for PRMR tag game
I'm not much for eating cooked spinach, but my other half is, & so I made this & pretty much followed the recipe right on down, especially knowing that it freezes well! The one thing I made sure to do was to chop the spinach quite small & cut the amount back a little! I thought the minestrone was very tasty, & my other half thought it OUTSTANDING, so there you go! I'm not sure that I'd change a thing when I make it again! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged & made for Please Review My Recipe]