Recipe by celestial_star03
I am posting all of my Grandmother's recipes so I never lose them. This is my absolute fave; I used to beg my Mother to make this every third Sunday. (She went all out on that day; we usually had company from services.) I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.
Top Review by trivett
I've been making this cake since I got the recipe from a co-worker in 1964. Long time family favorite. My tweaks have been to use fresh lemon juice and the zest from the lemon in the glaze. I also poke holes in the cake with a bamboo skewer prior to pouring the glaze over the cake to help it soak in better. Works very well as a 9" x 13" cake as well as the Bundt style, just adjust the baking time.
- 1 (18 ounce) box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup Wesson Oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Ignore the directions on the cake mix box.
- Place the yellow cake mix, eggs, oil, water, lemon flavoring, and lemon gelatin in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Transfer your batter to a well greased bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Turn it upside down onto your platter.
- While the cake is cooking whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice for the icing; and pour it on hot.