Recipe by Brian Holley
Deep fried meat and potato balls. This recipe from Sri lanka uses no spices, therefor makes a good side dish, or will accompany many western dishes. Very easy to make and looks interesting on a plate. Kids love these.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 lb potato, boiled and mashed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 mint leaves, sprigs
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 liter oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 g breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the meat with the salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Heat two tbsp of the oil in a pan and fry the meat for 4 minutes.
- Add the onions, mint leaves chillies and celery, cook till the onions has softened, do not brown the onion.
- Remove from the heat and add the mashed potato, mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Take the mixture and form into balls the size of golf balls. Dip them into the beaten eggs and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the remaining oil and deep fry the balls till golden.
- Drain them on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- If you have any of the beaten eggs left pour them into the hot oil for 1 min and use to garnish the dish.