Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a cough syrup you can make and take all you want. My mother made this for me as a child and I did the same for my two kids and grandchildren. It tastes good and is all natural. It does help the tickle. The vinegar cuts the molasses and the butter makes it smooth.
- In a pan heat the molasses, vinegar, and butter.
- Pour into a special mug for your child.
- Stick a plastic spoon in it and all you have to do when you want it reheated is to put it in the microwave for only a VERY SHORT time and it will be hot and ready for another dose.
- At night, put a heating pad on LOW with a facecloth on top of it and set the cup on it so that it will be warm when needed during the night--(try this during the day so you will know if it is the right temperature to leave on at night).
- If you have a couple of kids with a cough, make them each one of their own.
Soothed the throat, but I'm still hacking. I thought it would taste horrible, but it wasn't bad. I'll use this next time I have a throat tickle. Thanks for posting.
Yes, I'll definitely be holding on to this recipe. It soothes the throat, gets rid of the tickle, and reduces the cough. Thanks for sharing...
OH MY WORD!!!! IT WORKED! I gave this to my daughter, and was worried because we had somewhere we had to be today, and miracle of miracles it WORKED! She had to have about 10 teaspoons full, and also it took about 10 minutes, (and a little bit of honey) and I wasnt sure which it was that helped, but she didnt cough for over 2 hours (compared to the every 3-5 minutes, but really closer to 3). She didn't like the taste, and I don't blame her, not that it was bad, just different. The REAL test was when she went down to bed. The last two nights she spent 4 hours hacking every minute or so. She was so exhausted, and I was doing Vicks VapoRub, and a Humidifier, and Delsym... WELL, here is the verdict!!! We gave her a couple spoon fulls before she went to bed and IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!!!!! I am overjoyed at the fact that she did not cough ONCE!!! YAY! Thank you SO much! I will be using this over and over!!!