Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
Mother-in-law's recipe that I re-vamped. I hope you like it.
- 2 cups ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Heat oven to 450* and place a 9" Cast Iron Skillet in to warm it up. Meanwhile, mix first 5 dry ingredients thoroughly with a fork or sifter.
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients. Whisk to get a smooth batter.
- Pour into the warmed skillet and bake for 15-20 mins (check with toothpick at 15).
Delicious and simple, a savory cornbread that will be perfect with our beans and pork hocks tonight.