Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a rich moist cornbread and served with greens or peas it is a full meal in itself. This cornbread and a glass of milk or buttermilk will fill the hungriest boy or man.
- 709.77 ml cornmeal
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour (white optional)
- 29.58 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml salt
- 4 eggs
- 532.32 ml milk
- 354.88 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml oil (coconut is what I use)
- 396.89 g can cream-style corn
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 56.69 g can green chilies (optional)
- 59.14 ml shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Spray a 9x13-inch pan and set aside.
- Mix all your dry ingredients and set aside, the first 4 listed here.
- Beat your eggs in a medium to large bowl and then add the rest of your moist items, the rest.
- Gently stir the dry into the moist. It will be a bit lumpy or can. Do not over mix.
- Pour it into your sprayed 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until a pick comes out clean. Remember it is a moist bread.
- If it starts to brown too early cover lay foil over the top for the last 5-10 minutes.
Just like you said - rich and moist! Wonderful cornbread! We LOVED it! Very easy to put together. I added in 1 cup plain flour instead of wholemeal and some chopped up pickled jalapenos. I never realised I had only 3/4 cup cheddar cheese till after I started mixing the ingredients together and so that's the only change I'd to make (instead of the full 1 1/2 cups). But turned out great anyway! I didn't find it necessary to cover for the last 10 mins cooking time and they were done within 50 mins. Thank you, Maeven6, for sharing your mum's wonderful recipe.. I definitely will be making this again! Made for PAC Spring '08.