Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a rich moist cornbread and served with greens or peas it is a full meal in itself. This cornbread and a glass of milk or buttermilk will fill the hungriest boy or man.
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (white optional)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup oil (coconut is what I use)
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 1 (2 ounce) can green chilies (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Spray a 9x13-inch pan and set aside.
- Mix all your dry ingredients and set aside, the first 4 listed here.
- Beat your eggs in a medium to large bowl and then add the rest of your moist items, the rest.
- Gently stir the dry into the moist. It will be a bit lumpy or can. Do not over mix.
- Pour it into your sprayed 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until a pick comes out clean. Remember it is a moist bread.
- If it starts to brown too early cover lay foil over the top for the last 5-10 minutes.
Just like you said - rich and moist! Wonderful cornbread! We LOVED it! Very easy to put together. I added in 1 cup plain flour instead of wholemeal and some chopped up pickled jalapenos. I never realised I had only 3/4 cup cheddar cheese till after I started mixing the ingredients together and so that's the only change I'd to make (instead of the full 1 1/2 cups). But turned out great anyway! I didn't find it necessary to cover for the last 10 mins cooking time and they were done within 50 mins. Thank you, Maeven6, for sharing your mum's wonderful recipe.. I definitely will be making this again! Made for PAC Spring '08.