Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Marzipankartoffeln are baby potatoes made from marzipan and are traditionally given to friends in little bags or placed on the goodie plate at Christmastime. One can buy ground almonds as almond flour or as almond meal. If those are unavailable, blanch two cups of almonds, peel and finely grind in your food processor. Originally, the binder would have been an egg white, but because of health concerns, it's been left out of this recipe. Courtesy of Jennifer McGavin.
- 1 1⁄3 cups ground almonds
- 1 1⁄8 cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 3 tablespoons rose water (which are the traditional flavorings OR Cointreau, triple sec or similar liqueur) or 3 tablespoons orange flower water (which are the traditional flavorings OR Cointreau, triple sec or similar liqueur)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whirl candy ingredients in the food processor or mix by hand until well blended and sticky.
- Add additional rosewater or orange water a *little* at a time until the dough forms.
- Form balls containing about a tablespoon each (if you wish, make them lumpy to like baby potatoes).
- Mix the cocoa powder and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Roll the "potatoes" in the coating mixture and set aside to dry.
Rosewater was way too overpowering. I modified this by dropping to 1/8 to 1/4 tsp rosewater, substituting 2 tsp of water. Instead of using a food processor, I dissolved a spoonful at a time into the liquid ingredients until i started to form a paste, then two spoonfuls at a time until the mixture was thick enough to work by hand, then knead in more of the mixture until the dough is the consistency of play-dough. This worked very well.
My husband loves marzipan potatoes and has eaten them annually since he was a kid. I followed this recipe to surprise him with some homemade marzipan...but we found the marzipan to be a bit inedible in the end. The Rosewater is simply too overpowering and he felt like he was eating perfume. I'd suggest toning down the rosewater a bit...thanks!
I'll admit I haven't made this, yet. I plan to as soon as I can get into my kitchen to play. I love Marizpankartoffeln! Thank you so much for posting this!!!!