Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a Williams-Sonoma recipe which is just divine!
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces marzipan
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 eggs, at room temp
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus some
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan and dust with flour. Tap out the excess flour.
- In a food processor, pulverize together the sugar and marzipan until the mixture is in fine pieces. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the butter and almond extract and mix until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until thoroughly combined.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt over the egg mixture and beat in just until thoroughly blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed - about 1 hour 15 minute
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then run a knife blade around the edge of the cake and invert onto the rack.
- Lift off the pan and cool the cake upright on the rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
I made this cake before (I was actually going to post the recipe) and you are absolutely right: it's DIVINE!