Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Kringle is a wonderful Danish pastry. This recipe is from Scandinavian Feasts written by Beatrice Ojakangas. Please note that it must be started one day ahead, because the pastry requires long refrigeration. The refrigeration time is not included below.
- 2 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk (about 110 F)
- 1 cup whipping cream (about 75 degrees)
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (preferably fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into individual tablespoon portions
- 8 ounces almond paste (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped blanched almond
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Combine yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, and warm milk in a small bowl. Let rest until the yeast dissolves and begins to foam (about 10 min). Gently stir in the cream.
- Combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, and cardamom in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Fold in the yeast mixture just enough to moisten the dough. Cover and refrigerate 12 - 24 hours before rolling out the dough.
- Prepare the filling after the dough has been refrigerated by blending together all the filling ingredients.
- Lightly flour a pastry board or other smooth surface, and place the dough on the floured surface. Pound it with a rolling pin until the dough is flattened to a thickness of about 2 inches. Roll the dough to make a 24 inch square.
- Spread the filling to within 1 inch of the edges and roll up the dough as tightly as possible.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar on the work surface, and with your fingers, roll the dough firmly into the sugar to coat it, while also strething it to form a log measuring about 36 - 40 inches.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place the roll on the paper in the shape of a large pretzel. Brush the surface with the beaten egg white, and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Cover and let rise 45 minutes, or until puffy, but not doubled.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown.