Recipe by Derf
Dense chewy texture, good holiday bar.
Top Review by Libby Sproat
Heavenly! I used 2 cups whole wheat flour instead of the 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, and they turned out perfectly. These are very beautiful for a Christmas or holiday goody, and I think I'm going to add this to the usual list of treats I make for gifts each year.
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (200 g) package marzipan, diced
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13x9 inch metal cake pan, line with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring rum to boil, stir in cranberries.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, beat in vanilla and almond extract.
- In separate bowl, whisk flour ground almonds, baking powder and salt, stir into butter mixture just until combined.
- Stir in sliced almonds, cranberry mixture and marzipan.
- Scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of 350° oven until golden and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan on rack.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Cut into bars.
- Make ahead- Layer between waxed paper in airtight container, store for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.