Recipe by m.klitzke
Here is my version of Barley Chili. Tastes good and the whole pot is very low in points. I usually let this cool and then reheat it as needed for a quick dinner. Modified recipe from the quaker barley box.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray soup pot with cooking spray for easy clean up.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatos, tomato sauce, water, chicken broth, chili powder, and cumin.
- Boil for 20 minutes on low heat. You really just want it to simmer.
- Stir ocasionally.
- add black beans, corn and hamburger.
- Turn up heat and boil for 5 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy or cool and store for later use.