Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
These are a comfort food to me. My mom used to make beans growing up with fried potatoes and corn bread. She passed before I could ask her house to make some of my favorite foods. This is what I came up with.....
- 1 lb pinto beans, washed and sorted
- 1 ham hock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried onions or 1 small raw onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoned salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paula deens house seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Sazon Goya seasoning
- bacon salt
- Accent seasoning
- baking soda
- Wash/sort beans, place in a bowl, sprinkle in about a tablespoon or more of baking soda and one clove of garlic, cover with water and let soak 3 hours-overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Pour into a large pot, add ham hock, garlic and onion and cover with water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally for about 20-30 minutes. Check water level and tenderness of the beans. Add additional seasoning and continue to simmer until beans are tender.