Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great spring and summer cake.
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mix all the cake ingredients together with a spoon.
- Bake in a greased 9 x13 inch pan for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the cake bakes make the topping.
- Bring margarine, sugar and evaporated milk to a boil; stirring occasionally.
- Boil for 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Pour this mixture over the cake as soon as it comes from the oven.
Delicious easy to make pineapple cake. Added a splash of vanilla extract to the cake batter, and used butter instead of margarine in the topping. Used walnuts and toasted them as follows: Place chopped walnuts evenly in a dry stainless steel skillet; cook over low to medium heat, stirring or shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning; remove from the pan when the walnuts begin to release a nutty aroma, about 4 minutes. This cake would also be good with cream cheese frosting or a Cool Whip, vanilla pudding, and crushed pineapple topping. Added to my favorites binder. Yum. Made for Please Review My Recipe game.