Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mary and Charlie made a trip down south and came back with this recipe came from Charlie's sister. And just like Mary, Charlie and his sister ... this gets better with age.
- Mix all cake ingredients for 1 minute or until well blended on low speed. Then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake mix into 3 - 8" round greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 min at 350 degrees.
- Mix all frosting ingredients together (mixture will be thick).
- Frost all layers of the cake when cooled and the sides.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
- Store in a covered plastic container in the fridge.
This steals the show every time I make it for a gathering! Sometimes I garnish the sides with loose shredded coconut. Wonderful!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Many years ago a very dear neighbor of mine made this for me when I was going through a rough patch to cheer me up. Wow! I loved it. He gave me the recipe but being a military wife I lost it during one our many moves. He sadly passed away and I thought I had lost the recipe forever. But thanks to you I have now made it for my children and grandchildren. It is so moist and unique. We love it during the holidays as a nice twist to traditional fare and look forward to having it during the dog days of summer. Thanks again from all of us.