Recipe by cakefight27
Semi-traditional lentil soup with lots of veggies hidden inside! This is a popular soup in our house during the autumn months. I've tweaked a few lentil soup recipes over the years and this is what I've come up with. In our house it's served with a toss of parmesan and some grainy bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 1 lb dried lentils, sifted and sorted
- 1 cup barley
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, saute olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, carrots, celery, onion and mushrooms just a few minutes until things start to soften up.
- Add water, bouillon, lentils, tomatoes, spinach and barley.
- Increase heat to high until water boils.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer about 1-2 hours until lentils are cooked through.
- Run soup through blender in batches for smoother consistency or use hand blender.