12 hrs 45 mins
El Bee's Note:
This is made by our friend Mary for New Years annually, and I started making it when we would not be at Mary's house because it's DH's favorite. I made some of my own changes, but still think of it as Mary's recipe (I note where Mary's directions differ from mine in the ingredients list.). I also have never timed myself making this, but will the next time I make it and then update the time estimate. Peppermint ice cream is easier to find (IMO) in December.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11 ounces vanilla wafers (Mary's directions actually call for 2 small boxes, but my store only has one size. This seems to wor)
- 3/4 cup butter (Mary's recipe calls for margarine, but I don't keep that in the house)
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate (Mary's recipe says 1 bar, I've only ever seen a 4 oz size for sale)
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup crushed nuts (not specified, I usually use walnuts)
- 1/2 gallon peppermint ice cream (pink looks great, softened)
- 1Crush vanilla wafers.
- 2Melt butter.
- 3Mix wafers, butter, and powdered sugar together. Spread 2/3 of mixture in bottom of 9X13 (or slightly larger) pan.
- 4Melt sweet and milk chocolate in a double boiler.
- 5Beat egg yolks, add to melted chocolate and remove from heat.
- 6Beat egg whites until stiff, add to chocolate mixture.
- 7Pour 2/3 of chocolate sauce over wafer mixture.
- 8Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- 9Carefully spread softened ice cream (Mary's recipe says to cut in sticks and lay on top of nuts, but that kind of box is hard to find anymore). I use a wide spoon and put fairly thin chunks across the surface, then smooth it out a little to make sure all the chocolate is covered.
- 10Pour rest of chocolate sauce over the ice cream.
- 11Sprinkle with remaining wafer mixture.
- 12Freeze at least overnight or for a few days. Remove from freezer shortly before serving to make it easier to cut.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mary's 'famous' Peppermint Ice Cream Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.6
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 102.1 mg
- Sodium 266.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
peppermint ice cream