Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
These cookies are so good, they are made by two generations and eaten by three. AKA Brown Sugar Drops
- Mix all filling ingredients (except nuts) together over medium heat. Add nuts -- stirring constantly.
- Once sugars are disolved and mixed with other ingredients, take off heat and let cool.
- Mix shortening, sugar and eggs thoroughly. Stir in buttermilk. Sift in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Let chill at least 1 hour.
- Roll dough in ball and make a thumb print in center of the cookie. Add approx 1 tsp date filling in the hole, then cover top of filling with a small piece of dough patted down lightly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.