Recipe by Tryntje
A rather large, light and reasonably moist cake. Originally this recipe was given to me as Mary's Wedding Cake, but I have changed it to a Christmas cake. Every year I make this one plus a different one, (I love experimenting). but every year the family still likes the original one from way back. Will I ever learn. If you desire a moist cake continue to "soak" the cake every few days with sherry
- 625 g butter
- 625 g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle ginger ale
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 900 g flour
- 12 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 kg mixed fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak fruit, baking soda,and cream of tartar in sherry and ginger ale over night.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add a little flour if nec to prevent curdling.
- Add flour and fruit.
- Mix well.
- Place in large paper lined and greased tin.
- Place in pre heated oven 190 degrees C.
- Bake 1 hour at 190C, then lower heat to 160C and bake 4 to 4 1/2 hours till cooked.
- If cake begins to brown too much during cooking, cover with a piece of brown paper.