Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great spicy cake to use up your cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup pitted bing cherry (or another sweet cherry)
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon grd clove
- 1⁄2 cup cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- Cream together the sugar and shortening. Mix in the egg yolks one at a time. Add cherries. Add dry ingredients and spices (except for baking soda).
- Dissolve baking soda in cherry juice. Add cherry juice and buttermilk. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8in cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees bake 30-35 minute Let cool, place on cake platter and frost between the layers with either 7 min frosting or cream cheese frosting and on the sides.
Hubby just loves cherry cake :) This recipe turned out great- thanks!