Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
These biscuits are a "must" to go along with My Dad's Favorite Chicken & Noodles. They are also good with butter & jam, or honey, or .......
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening (I use Butter Flavor Crisco--the sticks measure exactly 1 cup each)
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Cover bowl& refrigerate for about 30 minutes (this step can be skipped, but it makes the dough easier to handle if it's cold).
- Make a well in the center of the mixture& add milk all at once.
- Stir just until dough clings together.
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently 10-12 strokes (don't over-knead or handle dough too much, or it will become tough).
- Roll or pat dough to 1/2" thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2 1/2" biscuit cutter--cut straight down to the board, then twist& lift cutter--dipping cutter into flour after each cut.
- Transfer biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Place biscuits so they're almost touching, and press two fingers lightly into top of each biscuit.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- *Note:Placing biscuits close together on baking sheet helps them to rise, as they"climb" on each other.
- Also, pressing your fingers into the center of each biscuit keeps the middles from rising higher than the sides.
These biscuits were easy to make and very tasty. Everyone in my family enjoyed them. I didn't have any "butter flavored" crisco so I used regular and they were fine. Next time I'm out shopping I'll pick some up and try them with the butter flavor. Thanks Mary. :)
I like these heavy biscuits! I like to freeze the dough after it was cut into form and then take out to bake as many as I need for that time. My mom gave me this recipe when I got married. They're a favorite!
These biscuits were very good. I made them this a.m. and only half of the recipe. I had some homemade fig preserves and they go great with hot biscuits & butter. I rolled the biscuits in my hand as I am in East Texas where biscuits are a part of our vocabulary, lol!! Biscuits & Gravy, biscuits with fried chicken & on & on. These were good & I will definitely make them again. Thanks for this recipe. I wanted something different & had never made with cream of tartar & sugar but added a great taste.