Recipe by Clare Bear
Buttermilk is the surprising secret for these flavorful meatballs! This is an adaptation from Cook's Illustrated's Pasta book. These are juicy and tender but lean, and ready to plop into your favorite sauce.
Top Review by ShortieOne
I have tried making meatballs before, but these were the best meatballs I have ever made!
The meatballs very delicious and tender and the recipe was so simple, I think the buttermilk makes all the differences.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 3 slices bread
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, mince garlic.
- Add onion, and pulse to chop.
- Add bread slices, crumbled, and pulse to shred.
- Add buttermilk, pulse, and let stand until liquid is absorbed.
- Add red pepper flakes, salt, Parmesan cheese, egg, parlsey and pepper, and pulse to mix.
- Add ground beef, pulse till thoroughly mixed.
- Form into meatballs 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.
- They will be soft (it makes about 20 meatballs or so).
- Place on a foil-lined 10 x 15 jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.