Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mother's preferred version of the Cherry Coke Salad
- 6 ounces cherry Jell-O
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple
- 15 ounces dark sweet cherries
- 8 ounces whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 cups Coca-Cola
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- For this recipe, I drain the the crushed pineapple and dark sweet cherries to have 2 cups of fruit juice. You can do this by putting a regular food strainer on top of a large pyrex measuring bowl.
- I had to smash the pineapple and cherries with a spoon to get all the juices out, but it should come out to 2 cups. Set aside these juices.
- Use a chopper to chop up pecans. You can chop up the pineapple and cherries too. (I do) This creates a smoother texture that I prefer.
- Add the two tablespoons of cream cheese into a bowl that has your nuts and fruit. Mix up so there are no large chunks of cream cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, boil your 2 cups of fruit juices. Once boiling remove from heat and add your cherry gelatin. Stir for 2 minutes or until dissolved. Let Set Partially.
- After an hour to an hour and a half setting Quickly stir in your bowl/mixture of fruit and nuts. Mix. Pour mixture into your dish that your salad will set inches Cover with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for 2-4 hours.
- To serve, top with whipped cream if desired.