Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this in an fund raising cookbook for Church Home and Hospital School in Baltimore, dated 1985. I have not tried it yet but plan to do so real soon.
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups dry red wine or 2 cups white wine
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup parsley flakes
- 1 lb skinless fish fillet
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 3 dozen cherrystone clams or 3 dozen oysters, in the shell
- In a large pan, sauté onions in oil until tender. Add water, wine, tomato paste and seasonings. Simmer, covered, 1 hour. Wash fish and cut into 6 pieces. Check and remove any shell pieces from crabmeat. Scrub clam and/or oyster shells well with a brush.
- Add shellfish to the broth first and cook for 20 or 30 minutes or until the shells open. Then add the fish. And cook another 6 to 10 minutes.