Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 fluid ounces milk
- Cream shortening and sugar together.
- Beat in egg.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add to mixture.
- Pour in milk to mixture.
- Mix together.
- Place in greased muffin tins.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and roll them in extra melted butter.
- Then roll the muffins into mixture of ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
Excellent! Not the typical muffin mixing method, but the resulting batter was smooth and easy to drop into the muffin tins. I added probably about 3/4-1 tsp of cinnamon to the batter itself because I love it and it just made the muffins that much better. I also used 2/3 cup whole wheat flour along with 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup all-purpose flour. I think maybe I will use 1 cup whole wheat next time even because the spices are so great it may not matter! I got 12 muffins plus 6 mini muffins out of this batter and the tops puff nicely so they are very light and airy which is perfect!