Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
"According to "Ye Marland Chronicle" written for the Baltimore Sunday Sun in 1933, the Maryland crab was the main reason for Captain John Smith's visit to Chesapeake Bay in 1607. Crab bakes were first eaten by Lord Baltimore in 1634. The Imperial Crab was created in honor of Queen Herietta Marie." - Seafood Marketing Authority, Division of Marketing Development, Department of Economic and Community Development 2525 Riva Road, Annapolis, MD 21401
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- oil (for frying)
- Remove all cartilege from crabmeat.
- In a bowl, mix breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Add crabmeat and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Shape into 6 cakes.
- Fry in oil (350 F), until browned, or pan fry in a little butter or oil until browned on both sides.