A wonderful and easy recipe based on one from the February/March 2007 issue of Cook's Country magazine. The contributor, Jeremy Sauer, says in its intro, "While other regions of the country rely on a thick buttermilk batter and a deep-fat fryer to deliver a crusty crunch, in Maryland the chicken parts are simply seasoned, floured, and shallow-fried. This old-fashioned cooking method results in crisp, mahogany chicken that, with a gentle tug, sheets off the bone with its deliciously brittle skin still intact. But what really sets Maryland fried chicken apart is the creamy, black pepper-spiked pan gravy that's equally fit for drumstick dunking or mopping up with a biscuit." Cook time doesn't include the 30 minutes (up to 2 hours) refrigerator time. NOTE: To ensure even-cooking, breasts should be halved crosswise and leg quarters separated into thighs and drumsticks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken pieces (refer to "NOTE" above)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups peanut oil or 3 cups vegetable shortening
- Old Bay Seasoning
- 1FOR THE CHICKEN:.
- 2Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- 3In small bowl, mix together mustard, garlic powder, and salt and sprinkle evenly over chicken.
- 4In shallow dish combine flour and baking powder and working one piece at a time, dredge chicken parts until well coated, shaking off excess.
- 5Refrigerate on plate for 30 minutes (or up to 2 hours).
- 6With oven rack in middle position, preheat oven to 200°F degrees.
- 7Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 375°F
- 8Arrange half of chicken in pot, skin side down, cover, and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- 9Lower temperature to medium, adjusting burner as necessary to maintain oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees.
- 10Cook uncovered, turning chicken as necessary, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. (Internal temperature should register 160 degrees for white meat and 175 degrees for dark meat.).
- 11Transfer chicken to wire rack set over baking sheet, season with Old Bay, and transfer to oven.
- 12Bring oil back to 375°F and repeat with remaining chicken.
- 13FOR THE GRAVY:.
- 14Pour off all but 1/4 cup oil in pot.
- 15Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
- 16Slowly whisk in brother, cream, and pepper. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 17Season with salt and serve with chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maryland Fried Chicken With Cream Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2527.9
- Calories from Fat 2050
- Total Fat 227.8 g
- Saturated Fat 53.3 g
- Cholesterol 288.5 mg
- Sodium 926.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 63.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: