1/2 Photos of Maryland Fried Chicken
1 hr 25 mins
Christine Bettiga's Note:
This is a different take on chicken. You fry the chicken, then add milk to simmer. You get tendor, moist and juicy chicken. The original recipe is from the Quick and Easy Comfort Cookbook by BHG. I changed it up a bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts or 2 -3 lbs chicken (thighs, breasts and drumsticks)
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I use plain)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1In a small bowl, combine the egg and 3 tablespoons of milk.
- 2Season egg wash with a dash of black pepper and paprika.
- 3In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, paprika, dried thyme, pepper and garlic.
- 4Dip pieces of chicken in the egg wash, one at a time, then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- 5In a large chicken skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- 6Add the chicken and cook, uncovered, turning occasionally, approximately 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- 7Add the cup of milk.
- 8Reduce heat to medium low, cover tightly.
- 9Cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 10Uncover, cook for 8-10 minutes more.
- 11Check to make sure chicken is no longer pink.
- 12Place chicken in a casserole dish and place in oven for 10 minutes on 200 degrees.
- 13Prepare gravy as follows.
- 14In a jar, combine 3/4 cup milk, 3 tbsp flour, salt and pepper.
- 15Cover with lid and shake until mixed.
- 16Add to skillet, stirring constantly.
- 17Stir in additional milk.
- 18Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick and bubbly.
- 19Add additional milk if it is too thick.
- 20Serve gravy over mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maryland Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.6
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 168.6 mg
- Sodium 533.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 41.5 g