This is a different take on chicken. You fry the chicken, then add milk to simmer. You get tendor, moist and juicy chicken. The original recipe is from the Quick and Easy Comfort Cookbook by BHG. I changed it up a bit.
- 4 chicken breasts or 2 -3 lbs chicken (thighs, breasts and drumsticks)
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I use plain)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and 3 tablespoons of milk.
- Season egg wash with a dash of black pepper and paprika.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, paprika, dried thyme, pepper and garlic.
- Dip pieces of chicken in the egg wash, one at a time, then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- In a large chicken skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, uncovered, turning occasionally, approximately 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add the cup of milk.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover tightly.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Uncover, cook for 8-10 minutes more.
- Check to make sure chicken is no longer pink.
- Place chicken in a casserole dish and place in oven for 10 minutes on 200 degrees.
- Prepare gravy as follows.
- In a jar, combine 3/4 cup milk, 3 tbsp flour, salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and shake until mixed.
- Add to skillet, stirring constantly.
- Stir in additional milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick and bubbly.
- Add additional milk if it is too thick.
- Serve gravy over mashed potatoes.