1/1 Photo of Maryland Crab-Sweet Corn Chowder
1 hr 15 mins
Mom of Five's Note:
This is a recipe from a bed and breakfast here in Maryland. Once we tried it, it became a family favorite and a traditional Thanksgiving dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red peppers or 1/4 cup yellow sweet peppers or 1/4 cup green sweet pepper
- 6 ounces crabmeat, fresh,frozen or canned
- 1In a 2 qt saucepan, cook half of the whole kernel corn, the onion and garlic in hot cooking oil till onion is tender, not brown.
- 2Carefully add chicken broth.
- 3Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 4Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 5Stir in whipping cream, salt, and white pepper.
- 6Simmer, uncovered, for 10 min.
- 7or until slightly thickened.
- 8Watch carefully because it may foam and rise in pan.
- 9Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- 10Pour the cooled mixture into a blender container.
- 11Cover and blend until smooth.
- 12Return to same sauce pan.
- 13Keep warm.
- 14Meanwhile, in a small covered saucepan cook remaining corn and potato in boiling, salted water for two minutes.
- 15Add chopped sweet pepper.
- 16Cover and cook about 1 minute or til tender.
- 18Stir the drained vegetables into the soup.
- 19Add the fresh or frozen crab meat; heat through.
- 20If desired, garnish with parsley and red pepper strips.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maryland Crab-Sweet Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.9
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 66.2 mg
- Sodium 531.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 11.0 g