Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a tomato-based crab stew,with clams and vegetables. Originally from an October 1980 issue of Bon Apetit magazine in the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor. It was requested from Dockside Murphy's restaurant in Salisbury, Maryland.
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 1⁄2 lbs onions, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb celery, chopped
- 3 medium green bell peppers, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh tomatoes, diced and crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 gallons hot water (6 quarts)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base
- 1 (10 ounce) canwhole clams, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce, plus
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs crabmeat, cooked
- Saute bacon in large saucepan or Dutch oven until crisp.
- Add onions,carrots,celery,garlic, and green pepper and saute until lightly golden, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes,salt and pepper.
- Gradually stir in hot water, chicken stock base and clams until mixture is well combined.
- Simmer 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, worcertershire sauce, lemon juice and seasonings and simmer 1/2 hour longer.
- Add crabmeat and heat through.
- Serve hot.