4 hrs 45 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a tomato-based crab stew,with clams and vegetables. Originally from an October 1980 issue of Bon Apetit magazine in the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor. It was requested from Dockside Murphy's restaurant in Salisbury, Maryland.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 lbs onions, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb celery, chopped
- 3 medium green bell peppers, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes, diced and crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 gallons hot water (6 quarts)
- 1/4 cup chicken base
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole clams, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce, plus
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 lbs crabmeat, cooked
- 1Saute bacon in large saucepan or Dutch oven until crisp.
- 2Add onions,carrots,celery,garlic, and green pepper and saute until lightly golden, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes,salt and pepper.
- 4Gradually stir in hot water, chicken stock base and clams until mixture is well combined.
- 5Simmer 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add potatoes, worcertershire sauce, lemon juice and seasonings and simmer 1/2 hour longer.
- 7Add crabmeat and heat through.
- 8Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maryland Crab Stew
Serving Size: 1 (10660 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2639.7
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 427.2 mg
- Sodium 9368.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 372.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 64.4 g
- Sugars 127.3 g
- Protein 208.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning