3 hrs 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is not a cream-based soup,but is a peppery, tomato-filled mixture with pearl barley, vegetables, and snowy chunks of crab.Originally from a May 1983 issue of Bon Appetit that featured the sights and cusine of Baltimore, Maryland.This needs to be made a day ahead of serving it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, cored, deveined and seeded, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb beef bone (or veal knuckle bones)
- 3 large new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup diagonally cut green beans, about 1/2 inch long
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth (preferably homemade)
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato, pureed with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Melt butter in heavy large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, celery, carrot and bell pepper and stir until lightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 3Add bay leaf, thyme, ground red pepper and pepper and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Add bones,potatoes and beans and cook, stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Blend in broth and 2 cups water.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 7Add barley and remaining cup water to soup; cover and simmer 2 hours.
- 8Discard bones; stir in tomato puree and salt.
- 9Let soup come to room temperature.
- 10Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours; degrease if necessary.
- 11Discard bay leaf; stir crab and parsley into soup.
- 12Place over low heat and warm slowly, stirring as little as possible to keep crab in large pieces.Do NOT boil or crab will be tough.
- 13Season to taste with salt and red pepper.
- 14Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maryland Crab Soup
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.2
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 54.8 mg
- Sodium 685.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: