1/12 Photos of Maryland Crab Salad
Andi of Longmeadow Farm's Note:
This is a personal recipe -- tried and true -- made time and time again. I use this in the good ol summa' time, but can be used during the rest of the year as well. Normally, I buy "cold steamed blue crabs" from our local fish market, that are bursting with flavor after resting in the unique Maryland seasoning. I pick the meat, and make this cooling, refreshing salad. It is also great served on a saltine or toast points. Usually though, I just place atop a garden fresh lettuce leaf, and grab a cracker or two with it. If you get the time, marinate the crab meat in 1 tablespoon of Italian dressing for about 1 hour prior to gently folding together. If you don't get the time, that's okay too! Just *enjoy* You can substitute lobster, shrimp, or even conch meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb crabmeat, fresh (can use other suggested seafood)
- 1 tablespoon Italian dressing (to marinate the crab)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (to taste, if prefer spicy go up to 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (important to use Dukes or Hellman's)
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 small spring onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard (Dijon can be subbed)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (add more for additional spicy taste)
- 1Carefully comb through crab meat for any extra shells.
- 2Making sure not to break up crab, marinate crab pieces with Italian dressing for about 1 hour. But if you don't get a chance, ten minutes works well too.
- 3Mix all other ingredients in a medium bowl thoroughly.
- 4Add crab meat mixture to mayonnaise mixture and mix with spatula, again not to break up pieces.
- 5You can either cool in fridge for an hour or two, or you can eat directly.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maryland Crab Salad
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.8
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 55.2 mg
- Sodium 1200.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 21.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning