Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom made these when I was just a kid. Several years ago, DH took his first post-retirement job as Seafood Supervisor in a local grocery chain, made these for the seafood department, and the word spread, so that they were taking phone orders for "HIS" crab cakes ! The owner told him that Matzo Meal in place of the bread crumbs works very well due to the soda cracker addition.
- 3 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs backfin crab meat (or lump)
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- CAREFULLY fold in crabmeat by hand into well blended ingredients, so as not to break up crab lumps.
- Add bread crumbs and, using hands, blend all ingredients -- still taking care to not break up lumps.
- Carefully form into 10 slightly flattened cakes.
- Refrigerate cakes several hours or overnight.
- Prepare by either frying in olive oil or butter, or broiling.
- Note: Frying in electric skillet in a little olive oil and butter for several minutes per side works very well for me.
These were amazing, really simple to put together and a beautiful blend of flavors. The texture was perfect as well, just thick enough to handle and form well, but light enough to have a slight "fluffiness" in the middle when cooked.