Nothing says Bawlmer, Murlin like crab cakes Hon! This is my take on a regional favourite. Based on a Cook's Illustrated recipe I don't pretend these would be considered "authentic" Especially if you use any of the various herbs I suggest. After all. I'm a DamnYankee transplant. However, they are good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over to remove shell fragments (preferably jumbo lump)
- 4 medium scallions, green part only, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped (or dill, or basil,)
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs (adjust as needed based on moisture & binding)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (absolutely no substitutions!)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1Gently mix, by hand, crabmeat, scallions, herb, Old Bay, bread crumbs, and mayonnaise in medium bowl, being careful not to break up crab lumps. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Carefully fold in egg with rubber spatula until mixture just clings together.
- 2Divide crab mixture into four portions and shape each into a fat, round cake, about 3 inches across and 1 1/2-inches high. Arrange on baking sheet lined with waxed paper; cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes. (Can refrigerate up to 24 hours.).
- 3Put flour on plate or in pie tin. Lightly dredge crab cakes. Heat oil in large, preferably nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Gently lay chilled crab cakes in skillet; pan-fry until outsides are crisp and browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve hot,.
- 4Chef's Notes.
- 5Use a *very* delicate hand when mixing. You don't want to break up the crab meat.
- 6Use the bare minimum of filler necessary to just hold the cakes together. These are Crab Cakes, not crab flavoured bread cakes!
- 7You can broil them rather than fry. In that case, omit the flour dusting. Be very careful when turning. You don't want them to fall apart.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maryland Crab Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.3
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 142.7 mg
- Sodium 577.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning