Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another Dixie meal that combines sweet and savoury elements, who would have thought that banana and chicken would work so well together. Everything originally would have been deep fried in batter but I prefer this slightly lighter version. The sweetcorn fritters are a must and can be made whilst the chicken is cooking in no time. I'm not sure if this recipe comes from the state of Maryland, USA but to be honest I don't really care! Satisfying to the very last mouthful. mmmm!
- 8 piece of southern fried chicken (oven ready, store bought)
- 4 bananas
- 2 large tomatoes, halved
- 30 g flour (approx)
- 30 g butter (approx)
For the sweetcorn fritters
- 283.49 g can sweetcorn (with juice)
- 4 spring onions, chopped fine (scallions)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 85.04 g self raising flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- cooking spray (for frying)
- Put the chicken in the oven to cook following manufactures guidelines.
- Make the sweetcorn fritters by sifting the flour into a bowl with the salt and pepper. Add the eggs and a little water to make a thick batter whisking until no lumps remain.
- Add the sweetcorn and spring onions and mix well. Set aside.
- Coat the tomato halves and the bananas in seasoned flour.
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat and spray with oil. In batches, place spoonfuls of the sweetcorn mixture into the pan and fry for a few minutes until little bubbles appear on the surface. Flip over and cook the other side for a few more minutes. Keep warm in the oven whilst you make the rest.
- When the chicken is almost ready, spray more oil into the pan and cook the tomatoes, cut side down until slightly crispy and browned. Keep warm in the oven.
- Cook the bananas in the same way until patched with brown but not mushy.
- Serve everything together and Enjoy!
- I love this meal.