Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These make-ahead appetizers are delicious. Just make ahead, freeze and then back when you're ready. My mother gave me this recipe and makes them at holiday time.
- 1 loaf thin sliced white bread
- 1⁄2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 (4 ounce) package slivered almonds
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Remove crusts from bread.
- In a bowl, combine all other ingredients.
- Spread each slice of bread with mixture. Cut into strips or any other desired shape.
- Place on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Place in plastic bags and store in the freezer.
- To serve, bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
I had these at a friends party last night, oh my goodness so delicious! She used rounds of baguette. Delicious, I knew I had to look it up asap! (very rich, don't eat as many as I did!)
These are really good! I made exactly as written and it was very easy to put together. As DH and I having been lowering our sodium/salt intake....we did find this a wee bit salty...and I don't think that can be changed due to what the ingredients are. So instead of having 4....we have 2. All in all....this will be a wonderful appy to have on hand when company comes. I have frozen all but the 10 I kept out to bake and try for the review. Thank you Canadian for sharing this yummy recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2010.