Prep 26 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Recipe is from Midwest Living magazine.
- 1 cup dried currants or 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a jar, combine currants or raisins and brandy or orange juice. Cover tightly. Let soak overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine yeast, milk, and the 1 tablespoon sugar. Let stand until mixture is bubbly.
- By hand, beat in the 1 cup flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 45 minutes).
- In a bowl, stir together the 2-3/4 cups flour, the cinnamon, mace, and salt; set aside. Drain currants, reserving brandy or juice; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the 1 cup sugar and the butter with electric mixer on medium speed until very light. Add egg; beat until light.
- Beat in the lemon peel, lemon juice, and reserved brandy or orange juice. Add the yeast mixture; beat until thoroughly combined.
- By hand, stir in the currants. Stir in the flour mixture until well combined.
- Grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan or a 10-inch tube pan. Turn the batter into pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on wire rack.
- In a bowl, stir together powdered sugar and orange juice until the mixture is smooth and drizzles easily.
- Drizzle cake with Orange Glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar.