Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of the hand-me-downs to be enjoyed. Mary Lou was my grandmother's neighbor in Missouri, on the Lake of the Ozarks. It was her favorite dish to bring to community events, potlucks, and picnics. This recipe has three three types of canned beans and lots of flavor.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce, favorite commercial brand
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 13"x 9"x12" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add ground beef, bacon and onion to a large non-stick skillet. Cook over med-high heat, until beef is browned and onion and bacon tender. Make sure to break up ground beef while cooking to crumble.
- Remove from heat and drain excess fat/oil from pan.
- Add BBQ Sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, sugar and molasses to meat mixture. Mix well.
- Add pork & beans, lima beans, and kidney beans to meat mixture and stir well to incorporate all ingredients. Add salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Turn mixture into prepared baking dish and bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes until thoroughly heated through and bubbling.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly and serve.