This recipe is my dear sis in law Mary Lee's. It is WONDERFUL. Here in Mi we have 2 German restaurants close by in a town called FRANKENMUTH--wonderful German food of all kinds, BUT her Sauerbraten beats theirs all the way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -7 lb) rump roast
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 large lemons, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles red wine vinegar (she will only use HEINZ)
- 12 whole cloves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Gingersnap gravy (use 1 cup strained marinade)
- 1/3 cup broken ginger snaps
- 1Add all ingredients for marinade and the roast in a large glass bowl ONLY use GLASS(sis uses a punch bowl) as I think during the long marinating time there would be a reaction of some sort to your pan also cuts hers in half or thirds depending on the size of her roast.
- 2Cover with plastic wrap.NOT foil.and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.MAKE SURE ALL MEAT is completely SUBMERGED.
- 3On 3rd or 4th day remove roast from marinade(keep the marinade).
- 4Pat roast dry with paper towel --.
- 5In dutch oven add about 2 Tbs oil and brown the meat.
- 6Strain the marinade and add the liquid back to the dutch oven with the meat( she also picks out the onions and adds those in too). Cook over med heat 2 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on how big your roast is. She always has a large 7 pound or so.
- 7GINGERSNAP GRAVY.
- 81 cup strained marinade.
- 91/3 cup crushed /crumbled gingersnaps.
- 10Hint:the measurements for the gravy are for per 1 cup of gravy -- we use /measure all remaining marinade after cooking and straining and go from there as we LOVE this thick tangy gravy.
- 11After roast is done & while it is "resting".
- 12Measure the leftover marinade.
- 13(used for the marinating/cooking) for every 1 cup marinade.
- 14You add 1/3 cup gingersnaps (broken) cook marinade & gingersnaps over med heat till it is gravy -- doesn't take long.
- 15This gravy is my absolute FAVORITE.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mary Lee's Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.2
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 1129.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 48.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns