Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 6 lbs new potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon Coleman's dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Drop tiny new potatoes in boiling, salted water and cook, timing carefully after the water returns to a boil for six minutes.
- Potatoes should be no larger than an English Walnut.
- Otherwise, cut them into pieces about that size.
- After cooking, drain potatoes well, rinse under cold water, and bring to room temperature.
- In saucepan, beat eggs.
- Stir in sugar and vinegar.
- Melt butter in small pan and reserve.
- Place the egg mixture over low heat and cook stirring constantly until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the melted butter, along with celery seed and dry mustard.
- Place pan in a larger pan of cold water to cool the dressing quickly and prevent overcooking.
- When dressing is cooled to room temperature, combine with mayonnaise to make enough to coat the potatoes.
- Add additional mayonnaise as needed.