Recipe by Queer Eye in the Kitchen Guy
Our Aunt Mary Jane made these potatoes at a family reunion back in '76 and they have been a family staple ever since! They go great with anything, and are so easy! I recommend any waxy potato, as russets etc. tend to be too dry.
- 6 -8 large white potatoes or 6 -8 large yukon gold potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion, diced to about 1/4 inch pieces (Walla Wallas are the best)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, one cube
- 2 cups cream or 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes WITH THE SKIN ON until barely fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- While potatoes are cooling, saute onion in butter just until opaque. You don't want them browned. Set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and grate them into a 9 x 13 casserole.
- Top potatoes with onions and butter, and sprinkle on seasoning salt to taste.
- Pour cream over potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown on top and cream has cooked into the potatoes.