Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another great dish from Mary Helen
- 1 lb bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- parmesan cheese
- 12 -16 ounces penne pasta
- Fry bacon in skillet. When cooked add onion and fry until transparent.
- Drain some of the bacon grease, add olive oil and tomatoes, then add fresh basil if desired.
- Cook pasta al dente and then pour this mixture over the pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
This is very simple, very Italian, and very good. Bacon adds its own rich flavor to a completely classic pasta sauce, and we loved it. We discovered at the last second we didn't have Parmesan, so topped it with some shredded Mozzarella; that worked fine. Made for PRMR July 09.